225-005 - INTERN
|Class Title: Recreation Program Intern|
Compensation: $8.50 per hour
Department: Department of Parks and Recreation, Bureau of Recreation
To assists in the daily operations of Allentown's Summer Playground Program and the Department of Parks and Recreation.
Works under the supervision of the Director of Parks and Recreation and/or the Recreation Program Manager.
May exercise supervision over playground instructors, referees, officials and volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the development and the daily operations of summer recreation programs. Specifically, the Summer Playground Program.
- Assist with grant reporting and obtain statistical data to strengthen new grant applications for all recreational programs.
- Work closely with Summer Playground Program managers and supervisors, referee/umpire assignors and gym supervisors.
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field of recreation through regular training and professional development.
- Assist with the production of the bi-annual Adventure Allentown publication.
- Prepare and present educational programs to Summer Playground Program participants.
- Represents the Department of Parks and Recreation at neighborhood playgrounds, community fairs and meetings, and other events.
- Conduct surveys and essential functions related towards program and recreational developments.
- May apply for program and marketing awards to help distinguish the department.
- Meets the attendance requirements of the position, which calls for a flexible work schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Provide quality and effective customer service with courtesy and understanding to City customers, citizens and internal departments.
- Performs related work as may be required.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Should be pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Recreation, Park and Tourism Management or a related field at an accredited University.
(B) Individual should be certified in CPR and first aid training within first month of start date.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Ability to exercise strong customer service skills.
(B) Strong knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
(C) Ability to market and advertise effectively on the internet (websites/social networking).
(D) Ability to cooperate with private and public agencies and general public to
organize and conduct effective programs.
(E) Ability to work independently.
(F) Ability to deal with and interact with the public using diplomacy.
(G) Ability to develop marketing materials.
(E) Ability to keep and organize detailed records.
(F) Interact effectively with school age children, teachers and principals.
(G) Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with individuals and
groups with diplomacy and professionalism.
(H) Exercise sound judgment and flexibility.
(I) Knowledge of arithmetic computations and tabulations and make calculations with speed and accuracy.
(J) Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
(K) Ability to prioritize work assignments, handle multiple tasks and projects, resulting in work being performed in the most efficient and timely manner.
(L) Excellent problem solving skills.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED (list all of the equipment that you use)
Requires intensive daily use of personal computer and other office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Performs work outdoors in various weather conditions. Must have stamina to occasionally stand and walk for a minimum of four (4) hours.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver's license.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but can become loud based on seasonal recreation activities.
Please attach cover letter and resume to the online application.
Candidates will be required to attend an oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.