920-002 - PLAYGROUND INST (TPT)
|THIS IS A SEASONAL POSITION|
Class Title: Summer Playground Instructor
Compensation: $12.00-$14.00 per hour
Department: Department of Parks and Recreation, Bureau of Recreation
To direct athletic, teambuilding and arts and craft activities for children at an assigned site in the Allentown Summer Playground Program.
Works under the supervision of the assigned Summer Playground Supervisor and/or Summer Playground Manager.
Supervises playground participants between the ages of 7 - 15.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with Summer Playground Program supervisors and manager to facilitate the overall program plan.
- Complete end of the year surveys requested by the City, Allentown School District and/or state authorities.
- Prepare comprehensive weekly schedule of activities and submit them to the assigned playground supervisor.
- Meets the attendance requirements of the position, which calls for a structured work schedule Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 3:30pm.
- Provide quality and effective customer service with courtesy and understanding to City customers and citizens.
- Direct and lead activities such as; games, athletics, field trips and arts and crafts on the playground.
- Teaching of required Romper Day dances, games and drills to ensure that the playground participants are prepared for the culminating event.
- Attend all weekly staff meetings and in-service training and orientation requirements.
- Successful completion of a pre-season on-line training video course.
- Registration of all playground participants between the ages of 7-15 and daily attendance tracking.
- Daily inspection of the grounds and all playground amenities followed by reporting any issues to the assigned supervisor.
- Care of all sports equipment, arts and craft supplies, CD players and all other related equipment supplied by the Recreation Bureau.
- Report the number of present participants to the assigned supervisor for daily lunch allocation.
- Performs related work as may be required.
Education and Experience:
(A) High school education preferred. Although not required, applicants who have completed one year of college and show an interest in a related field will be strongly considered. Related fields of study may include, Parks and Recreation, Education, Kinesiology and Social Work.
(B) Ability to become CPR and First Aid certified.
(C) Must be 15 years of age or older.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Ability to exercise strong customer service skills.
(B) Ability to work independently.
(C) Ability to deal with and interact with the public using diplomacy.
(D) Ability to keep and organize detailed records.
(E) Interact effectively with school age children, teachers and principals.
(F) Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with individuals in or involved with the Summer Playground Program.
(G) Exercise sound judgment and flexibility.
(H) Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
(I) Ability to prioritize work assignments, handle multiple tasks and projects, resulting in work being performed in the most efficient and timely manner.
(J) Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
(K) Act 153 of 2014 background checks required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED (list all of the equipment that you use)
Requires intensive daily use of sports equipment and arts and craft supplies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to be on their feet in an active environment. The employee is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Performs work outdoors in various weather conditions. Must have stamina to occasionally stand and walk for a minimum of six (6) hours.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Employee should possess a valid Pennsylvania driver's license or have the ability to arrive to their scheduled playground and weekly meetings on-time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the outdoor work environment can become loud based on the participants and activities that take place.
Candidates may be required to attend an in-person oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.